Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

Today is January 1st in Seoul. I'm coming up on 2 weeks here, and it's been absolutely crazy. A man I met at the bar last night told me I should write a blog while I'm here because even if no one reads it (sad), it will act as a journal so I can see how my views of things have changed since the time I arrived here. I liked that idea, so here we are.

Last week I trained at LCI, I moved into my apartment (which is small and adorable and which I will soon leave to move into the "dorm" apartment with some other teachers), and I celebrated Christmas with some teachers from LCI before they headed off to Japan.  The week flew by.

 Flipping adorable.

This week was holiday break, so I had tons of free time to explore Seoul. And explore I did.  I've eaten tons of Korean food (congealed cow blood, anyone?), shopped in the subway stations, visited a Buddhist temple, meditated with a monk, ice skated, explored a traditional Korean village, partied with a crazy American/Canadian band, and rang in the New Year with a ton of fun people in Hongdae. I am currently experiencing my first real Soju hangover, which I had been warned leaves you glued to your bed for an entire day. Fact.

 Lanterns at BongEun Sa Temple

My favorite Korean activity so far has been my trip to the jimjilbang (a bathhouse full of different spa treatments and hot tubs and pools). Everyone gets naked and walks around, which at first was a bit strange but in the end reminded me of my love of skinny dipping (Awww, good ol' Lake Michigan). Molly (from LCI) and I are going to make jimjilbangs a weekly occasion.

 Molly and I having tea at the temple

So, first 2 weeks in a flash = fish dessert waffle carts, lots and lots and lots of people, cramming onto the subway like sardines, SHOPPING, Soju, LOGS (my new favorite food),  adorable Korean kiddos, Korean BBQ, jimjilbangs, walking, people dressed as animals everywhere, running out of money already, funny little teeny tiny dogs, stray cats replacing squirrels, bad hangovers, delicious street food, super friendly people, and absolute OUT OF CONTROL on the streets at all times. I'm elated to be here.

 Old and new beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment